Creative writing is assessed in primary school, in 11+ examinations and in the English Language GCSE.
One effective way to enhance your writing is to incorporate an interesting and varied range of sentence openers. I often play the Roll the Dice Game with my students which encourages you to think actively about how you are starting sentences.
In the game students are not allowed to use boring or repetitive sentence openers like ‘he … she … they … I’. Instead learners become adept in writing bolder, more adventurous and creative sentences.
By playing this game consistently, students will experience some clear transformations within their writing:
- notice a remarkable change in their quality of writing
- begin to apply varied sentence openers to their school work and home work
- enjoy playing the game with their friends and peers and within their lessons
- will start to write interesting sentence openers naturally which will create much more fluency
- grades for creative writing should increase significantly.