Stars twinkled overhead in the midnight sky. The only sounds that punctuated the night were the crackling and spitting of the flames in the campfire. A gentle, cool breeze drifted across the forest landscape, kissing the faces of the mesmerized children. Sweet aromas of marshmallows toasting over the flickering fire wound their way up the children’s noses. Flames stood tall and proud, their sparks illuminating the dark, creating dazzling, dancing shadows on the children’s eager faces. All present were completely silent, as still as marble statues. They sat, watching, waiting, for the tales of old to begin.
As the night began to unfold the children sat with dazzled delight – the stories began and the opening tale was the most intriguing one I had ever heard – the teller of the story was hypnotic in her hold over us as the tale continued …
Creative Writing Activities
1. Continue writing the above story.
2. Use some of the images as a writing prompt and combine some phrases, words, imagery and story starters.
Sentence Starters that add Variety to Your Writing
LO: to use a range of different sentence starters in my writing.
Use ISPACE to write six sentences.
The theme of your sentences should be ‘the beach’.
- Racing towards the shimmering, sparkling sea, the puppies pounced ecstatically into the bounding, boisterous ocean.
- Like a bottle-nose dolphin, the swimmer tried to navigate the wild, whirling waves of the the Caribbean sun-kissed shore.
- Underneath the water, the divers spied what resembled an ancient, long lost ship wreck.
- Silently, Morag tiptoed over to a crystal clear rock pool to see if she could spy a crab or a sea horse.
- Meanwhile, the excited children gorged themselves on the Halloween pumpkin spiced punch, as their parents tried to win at apple bobbing.
- Exhausted from a day of snorkeling in Bermuda, Sally collapsed in a crumpled heap on her brightly coloured towel and drifted off to sleep.
Write some more sentences based on a theme linked to one of the images above, remember to use a range of sentence starters.