How can regular reading enhance you as a person and help enhance your health and overall well being?
- Reading can help to reduce stress and help to promote good sleep. Have you ever found yourself reading a few chapters before bedtime and drifting off to sleep naturally? This is because you can escape into the realm of a book and switch off from the worries and pressures of everyday life which can help to reduce stress, anxiety and and worry.
- You can learn new and interesting things and improve your own self or professional development. By regularly reading you can enhance your own knowledge, expand your knowledge and undergo a huge transformation of self development. You can become a self taught guru in any subject or topic of your choice.
- Reading enhances your own pleasure and heightens your sense of well being and happiness levels. Reading autobiographies and biographies can help you learn about your favourite people. Travel writing or novels of all genres can significantly help us to engage with books in a meaningful and deeply pleasurable way. You can also relate to the main characters and identify with a novel’s protagonist; you can enrich yourself by learning more about diverse cultures, habits, foods, people and environments; you can enhance your ability to appreciate the plight of others around the globe.
- Reading can sharpen your focus. Often when you read something fascinating or informative you find that when you look at the clock hours have flown by and you have become completely immersed in your reading matter. Your focus improves because you are becoming absorbed without other external distractions: this sharpens your own ability to focus better.
- Reading improves your memory. By reading regularly you will soon notice a sharp increase in your memory capacity. There is a huge amount of research that has been done which proves beyond doubt that reading is an invaluable activity in terms of warding off degenerative illnesses like Dementia and Alzheimers.
- Reading quality, complex novels develops empathy. Numerous academic research shows that if you regularly engage in the habit of reading high quality novels you begin to develop much stronger, deeper and more enhanced levels of empathy. You are actually increasing your human capacity to place yourself in another person’s shoes and imagine what they might feel like. Having an increased level of empathy is a real boost and tonic as it helps you to become a much more sympathetic, understanding and cooperative human being who can empathize better with your fellow man.
- Reading helps you develop an advanced vocabulary and become a better writer.